“When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn’t stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home and of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother’s heart, and she puts it into the baby’s mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies.” ~ET Sullivan

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

2 Month Update

Samuel had his 2-month checkup today. Here are his vitals:

Length: 23 inches, 50th percentile
Weight: 11 lbs 11oz, 50th percentile
Head: 39 cm, 25th percentile

So in 9 weeks of life, he has gained over 4 pounds which averages about 1/2 a pound a week! Leah has always been tall and skiny, so Samuel seems relatively chubby even though he is pretty average in comparison to other babies. I'll put up a picture of his fat little thighs as soon as the batteries in the camera are charged! Samuel had three shots today and has been very grumpy as a result. His cry is much more urgent and panicky sounding than usual, and he's just been crying on and off all evening--poor guy!

Other than that, he is usually a very happy baby and has been sleeping for 6 hour stretches at night. I'm happy to report that we've made it 9 weeks before his first all-over blowout in which his clothes required scrubbing and the bouncer cover needed to be removed and laundered--yes, this was today. I'm grateful for the infrequency of such events, but I guess I'm in for it.

More to come--I'll keep you posted!

4 comments:

Rebecca Reid said...

Congrats to Samuel on his first two months! I'm looking forward to his pictures!

Anonymous said...

That's over an ounce a day that he has gained. If he keep that up, what will he weigh by kindergarten? (That one is for Elizabeth.) Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow, I almost missed my assignment there. Okay, from March 11, 2008 to September 1, 2013 (an estimate of when kindergarten starts for Samuel) is exactly 2000 days. That makes the math easy. Assuming one ounce a day, that is 125 pounds. At that rate, Samuel will be a 136 pound 11 ounce kindergartener. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

So if I gain an ounce a day, then when Samuel starts kindergarten, I'll weigh . . wait, my calculator doean't go that high. I'd better go on a diet. Mom